When you click Export > PowerPoint, Displayr gives you a choice between Create new document or Update existing document. You can also select whether to export all pages or only the selected pages.
Create new document
When you select Create new document, Displayr creates a new PowerPoint file (.pptx) that is a snapshot of the page(s) or the entire document at the time of export. Hidden pages and hidden items on pages are not included in the export.
By default, charts and visualizations are exported as images. However, you can instead export as | editable PowerPoint charts by clicking on the chart and setting Properties > POWERPOINT EXPORT > Format to Microsoft Chart. By default, Displayr will export to a similar chart type in PowerPoint (if it exists). However, you can override this by selecting additional charts types from Export as. You can add your own custom chart templates by creating Chart Templates in PowerPoint and uploading them to your Displayr Cloud Drive.
Update existing document
When you select Update existing document you then need to drag-and-drop, or, upload, an existing PowerPoint file (.pptx). The contents of this file can then be automatically updated based on the charts, data, text, and images in the Displayr document.
Updating is based on GUIDs
Every object that can be updated from a Displayr document has a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier code). This GUID is shown in Properties > GENERAL > GUID (see the yellow region below). You can select it using your mouse by clicking and dragging. It can be copied by right-clicking and selecting Copy.
GUIDs are recorded in the PowerPoint Alt Text field
In order for Displayr to update something in PowerPoint, it is necessary to record the GUID in the Alt Text field in PowerPoint. This field is accessed in PowerPoint by right-clicking on things (e.g., a chart), and selecting Edit Alt Text.... Then paste the GUID into the Alt Text field.
- Font styling on exported PowerPoint tables will be preserved only if Appearance > Highlight Results > is set to None or Compare columns.
- Color emojis in your document will appear in black and white in the export.
- If calculations in a document are out of date, you will be given the choice of whether or not to update them.
- Information other than the GUID can be stored in Alt Text. Whatever else is in the field, Displayr will find the GUID if it is there.
- If you find that things haven't updated that you expect to update, check that you have selected the relevant pages in Displayr or set the export to Export All Pages.
- New chart formats introduced in Office 2016 are not currently exported (i.e., Treemap, Sunburst, Histogram, Box & Whisker, Waterfall, and Funnel). Note though that Waterfall and Funnel can still be created as stacked column and bar charts with blank categories.
- Displayr supports many charts types that do not exist in PowerPoint. You can either export these as images or export them to an existing PowerPoint chart type.