Case Study - MaxDiff - Presidential Traits
This case study formed the 4th and final part of the webinar DIY Market Research Dashboards - Building 4 in 40 minutes (webinar), originally presented on the 5th of December, 2017.
The study itself is from a survey which asked about which traits Americans prefer in a president. The most important component of the study is a MaxDiff experiment on these traits. A dashboard is constructed to show the results from the study, including the demographic makeup of the sample, political preferences, and the rankings of the traits as obtained through the MaxDiff analysis. In this case study you will learn about:
- The basic workflow to setting up advanced analyses in Displayr
- How to create master slides with backgrounds
- How to set up and modify a range of visualizations
- How to create and apply filters
- How to update a Displayr document with new data
You can view the final dashboard here.
You can edit a copy of the final dashboard here.
This case study links to the content of the fourth chapter in the webinar (recording here):
How to create the dashboard
Instructions for setting up this dashboard from scratch can be found in three separate articles. You don't need to complete the steps from all three. They are designed so that if you are only interested in one of the aspects you can just read the article for that aspect.
- Advanced Analysis of Experimental Data illustrates the basic workflow of performing advanced analyses (in this case, MaxDiff) in Displayr.
- Visualizations illustrates many of the different ways of creating visualizations in Displayr.
- Updating Reporting illustrates how to update data files so that the entire report, including all analyses, automatically updates.
The attributes and experimental design used in the MaxDiff experiment for this dashboard are:
- Attributes: Decent/ethical, Plain-speaking, Healthy, Successful in business, Good in a crisis, Experienced in government, Concerned for the welfare of minorities, Understands economics, Concerned about global warming, Concerned about poverty, Has served in the military, Multilingual, Entertaining, Male, From a traditional American background, Christian.
- Abbreviated attributes: Decent/ethical, Plain-speaking, Healthy, Success in business, Good in a crisis, Govt. experience, Welfare minorities, Understands economics, Global warming, Concerned poverty, Military experience, Multilingual, Entertaining, Male, Traditional American, Christian.
- Experimental design: File:President Experimental Design.csv
The different survey data files from this study are:
- Pilot data file: File:President - Pilot.sav
- Final data file: File:President - Final.sav
- 200 Case Data File: File:President - 200 Cases.sav
- 300 Case Data File: File:President - 300 Cases.sav
The image files that are used as backgrounds on this dashboard are:
See Category:MaxDiff for an overview of MaxDiff and links to key resources.